You can search for a key word in our fitness tips and articles by using the search box below.
Health and Fitness Tips
Sleep for a Better Wellness
A recent survey of the The National Sleep Foundation's foundation found that 60% of American adults have a sleep problem. If you need an alarm
clock to wake up or you sleep longer on the weekends, then you are sleep-deprived. The average requirement is seven to eight hours a night - some people need less, some more, whatever it takes to feel rested in the daytime.
When we close our eyes and drift off, we fall into about five 90-minute cycles of slumber, each with four stages of increasingly deeper sleep. Each cycle ends with a state of rapid eye movement (REM), when we dream the most.
Below are five ways to help you sleep. Tonight, you can try one or more of these five tips to improve your sleep.
1. Keep a Schedule - Choose the same times for going to bed and especially, getting up to maintain a regular circadian rhythm.
2. Watch Your Diet - Avoid large meals, alcohol and caffeine at least three hours before bed (a light, low-calorie, protein rich snack is fine).
3. Wind Down - Perform relaxing activities, such as yoga or meditation. Before bed, take a hot bath or shower. Avoid TV and computer use.
4. Avoid Stress - Don't overwork, and seek people and activities that support your values and interests.
5. Keep Moving - Exercise performed during the day or early evening encourages deep sleep, which promotes the release of growth hormone. But too much activity late at night can interfere with sleep.
By following the above tips, should should be able to enjoy a long relaxing slumber.
Rick Gusler is a certified personal trainer and diet nutritionist who serves his clients through Gusler Body Sculpting Fitness Center in central Denver. To schedule a free consultation, or to learn more about the Gusler method of body sculpting, spin yoga, or Rick's Boot Camp, please contact him at 303.860.7131 or online at www.guslerbodysculpting.com.
Gusler Body Sculpting Fitness Center, LLC
459 Acoma Street · Denver, Colorado 80204 · 303-860-7131
Hours: Monday-Friday: 6am-8pm · Saturday: Closed · Sunday: Closed
Copyright © 2001-2021 Gusler Body Sculpting Fitness Center, LLC
Web page design and hosting by Appaloosa